We are happy with our progress so far with our Superhero Cape project. On the coding side, we have built the skeleton of what we will use. Visually our next steps are to finalize the images and animations that will be seen in the final version. One issue we have had is the length of loading time–when the sketch is run through the p5 editor, it seems to take a super long time to load, which is unsurprising with the amount of PNG files in the asset folder. When the sketch is run in the browser, however, the loading time is only a few seconds.
The game begins with a looping animation, which is preloaded and was made through After Effects. When the game is loaded, music begins and the camera turns on, of which is only important in the final scene.
The cape will eventually work as a sensor. Here is the current prototype of the cape. As you can see, it’s prototyped for baby superhero.
Once the cape is on, p5 will begin the game by telling the user of their mission. Here the user will use their fist to trigger the button, which will be made with conductive fabric on the right glove of the cape. Thanks to Eve’s incredible motion graphics experience and amazing animation skills, every scene will be animated to reflect a playful child-like imagination.
The next scene the user will be using their flying skills. These skills will be proved by how much the user moves. Two accelerometers will be located in both the right and left sleeve of the user’s cape. Each flying skill test will be measured by the raw data of the accelerometer, which we mapped to reflect the speed of the user’s flying in the game.
*Although we have sent the raw serial data to p5 from Arduino, I am currently working on using a smaller microcontroller, Arduino Mini with BlueFruit.
The user will have 30 seconds to make an orbit around the Earth. If they don’t then the game is over, but if they do, they will get a picture taken in the local newspaper.