For my final fabrication project I finished the superhero cape. For the enclosure assignment, I made a small prototype of a cape with an enclosure. That helped me understand a lot about the fabric I am using, which is stretchy and shiny. I know that the best way to sew is on the inside of the fabric and how fast I should go on the sewing machine.
Not only would the fabrication of this project be difficult, but creating a strong circuit as well. Thankfully by taking fabrications, I am much more confident in creating things.
The first task was to create the circuit with LEDs. I ordered 10mm white LEDs from Adafruit, and conductive velcro (yes, conductive velcro). To ensure that I would set up my circuit correctly, I went to Kate to ask her for her help. She drew out what my circuit should look like which was super helpful when I needed a reference.
I then went to soldering all of the LEDs together. After getting one string with a 3V coin battery. I decided to rev up the power and use a 9V battery, in order to add more LEDs. I added a 220 ohm resistor that I solder to the wire coming from the positive side of the battery up to one of the pieces of velcro.
After soldering I test with alligator clips and the lights turned on! I was so excited, as I often don’t feel very strong about my pcomp skills.
Then I needed to connect the circuit together using longer pieces of stranded wire. This is protected by the two layers of fabric.
For the straps, I sewed the conductive velcro to the conductive ribbon.
I then made a pouch for the battery to go in, so it wouldn’t fall inside of the cape.
This is the prototype before I connected the 10mm LEDs together using stranded wire. As evident in the photo, the LEDs are much smaller and harder to see which is why I bought the large LEDs to see even on the shiny material.
Here is the cape on and off with the large LEDs. This is before the battery enclosure was made and I am completed this circuit by using alligator clips.