For the enclosure assignment I decided to make something I need for my final project for ICM and PComp. For the past couple of weeks I have been working on an interactive superhero cape, which will control a web-based game on p5. I have been working on the design of the cape with Kate and getting a lot of soft circuitry help from Teresa and Isabel.

The cape will have a microcontroller in the back that will have wires running down to the sleeves/gloves that will house 2 accelerometers.


I started with fabric I had ordered for the cape on Amazon. I got about 60 inches of this purple and gold metallic fabric.

IMG_3077 IMG_3078

First I measured and cut (which is super hard) the purple at about 20 x 16 inches. Then I did the same to the gold.



Once I cut them. I pinned them together with the sides I want on the outside. Luckily, that was about the time that Isabel showed up in the soft lab to inform me that material is very difficult to sew.

IMG_3086 3

So, then I flipped the materials around. I wanted to sew 4 sides in order to have a type of flap at the top that would eventually be the enclosure.

IMG_3087 2

However, I did a silly thing and sewed all 4 sides shut before  flipping the material I wanted on the outside. I ripped out the thread and started over.

IMG_3088 2

I then sewed the last side and left a half inch on each side that would allow wires to feed through. Then I cut out when the enclosure would be and added some velcro .


After adding some conductive thread for the tie, I had a model test it out.