Business card

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 12.40.42 AM

I went through a few different iterations for my business card. I wanted to create something simple, but bold. Even though I have been having some issues with conveying my name in the way that I think that captures my personality and brand, there are benefits to having a two letter name.

I started with a simple format using the Didot typeface. I liked the idea of having KCL together, but highlighting the KC to show that it was my first name. However, it ends up looking too busy. I added the diagonal line to separate my name from my fantasy job profession. Then on the backside, keeping with the simple, but bold theme, I ultimately deciding to just have a logo. After playing around with my logo from the previous week, I decided to use the Futura typeface and arrange it to appear almost like a logo. In the end, I thought it looked too busy with the two typefaces.

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 6.20.56 PM

In my next iteration, I decided to add some color, change the typeface, and the layout of the front and back. The first thing I did was go through several different fonts for “KC Lathrop” to see what I wanted to ultimately use.

For the “front side”, I ended up choosing Helvetica for the typeface. I kept it simple, but instead of only showing the job title, I also separated my contact information. I decided to highlight the KC with the green color and use that color as a theme throughout the card. I thought that this green was particularly calming, but still shows a lot of personality.

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 1.14.11 PM

For the other side, I used that same idea for highlighting the KC and made that the entire back side. I decided to not use my logo at all. This was a difficult choice, after going through many version of my name. It may have been from staring at it too long, but it ended up looking like a fish hook every time.

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 10.15.45 AM

Although I am happy with the end result, I am very open to feedback and suggestions as to how to improve my card. For my prototype for class, I did not print it in color, as I want the focus to be more on the design than the brightness of the color.